Sunday, February 9, 2014

How "The Help" Helped Me


I have a little cold and had a very rough week with attempted dog attacks and car thefts, so I decided to watch one of my go-to, feel-good movies last night: "The Help." Each time I see Skeeter's radical ways, Hilly's spite, Abilene's stoic resilience, and all the Southern charm and turmoil of 1960s Jackson, Mississippi I know I've chosen the right time occupant for the next two hours. During this viewing I paid close attention to the relationship between Skeeter and her mother, Charlotte. Having recently lost a wonderful mother, I was more angered than usual by Charlotte's antagonizing of her daughter's social choices, supposed sexual preferences, and career objectives. I kept thinking how grateful I was to have such a wonderful Mom for thirty years.  She would never have criticized me for being too liberal, she always gave me gentle and timely advice, and every day of my life until last November she told me I was "lovable and capable." While my Mom was 100 percent my biggest fan there were days when I rejected that support, and there were years when we fought, a lot. Sometime I rolled my eyes at the triteness of her catch phrase, and some days I simply told her she was lovable and capable too. Towards the end of the movie last night I found myself wiping away more than a few tears when Charlotte says to Skeeter that she's never been more proud of her, she wishes her well in New York with her new career, and thanks her for bringing courage back to their family. I missed my Mom terribly, and I was touched by how strong the bond between mother and daughter can be. Despite the discrepancies between the two women throughout the film Skeeter forgave her mom. That's the great thing about mothers and daughters: they can always reconcile and their love is unshakable.  Even though my Mom is gone from this world her repeated support and love are almost enough to "help" me through hard weeks and tough situations, or even sappy movies.      

3 comments:

  1. Love this post. Your mom loved you so much and still does--she is watching over you from heaven. The relationship between mother and daughter is so unique. Even among my sisters and I, we each have a very different relationship with our mom. Love you Becky!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love watching my go to comfort movies after a hard day/week. I'm sorry your week was so tough :-( I love that your movie allows you to focus in on different characters when you watch it, and also that you were able to reflect on your beautiful mom. I love you very much!

    ReplyDelete