Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Home


For five years as a teenager and two years as an adult I spent a week each summer making homes "warmer, safer, and drier" for low income families in the Appalachian Mountains. The people were always kind, if a little down on their luck, and the houses were inadequate. Compared to my comfy Decatur abode with the nuclear family in tact, these broken homes were often depressing, and I was confused my these families' good nature during my first trip; however, I soon realized that home is truly where the heart is. Today I sit in a medium sized, warm house typing, watching movies, and drinking coffee (of course), and I am again feeling empathy for the less fortunate. I daily pass a tent village on the side of 75/85 in downtown Atlanta: on a warm day the village looks almost cozy and I am happy that these particular homeless people seem to have a sense of camaraderie; however, when icy, cold, or rainy conditions arise, I cannot help but feel extremely compassionate for their lives without homes and extremely grateful for all the shelter I have had in mine. Glad all my friends are warm, safe, and dry today!  

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Becky! I agree that it is the people and love that make a place a cozy home. I also feel fortunate to have had a warm home during this chilly winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also very thankful for my warm house and that the power never went out over snowstorm 2.0.

    ReplyDelete