Sunday, March 2, 2014

Technology Tools

I can't believe that we have gone through our first grateful cycle! I have really enjoyed reading all of your daily gratitudes over the past six weeks. 

Today I am grateful for educational technology tools that allow me to build student specific math assistance. Over the past two weeks, I have been working to try to figure out a way to help one of my senior students re-learn the topics in the first three unit of her senior math class. She is currently failing, but her teacher and I agreed on a way for her to recover some credit. I would never be able to keep up with the demands of supporting students on such vastly different levels without the help of online programs that allow you to individualize subject specific videos and practice. Some of these programs also allow you to create discussions and give feedback on the assigned student work as well. 

For the senior student in question, I learned a new online tool called "Mybigcampus" that allows me to create classes and assignments. More importantly, it allows me to load videos from Khan Academy so that my students can watch and re-watch topics that they are struggling in. Khan Academy uses YouTube for its videos, and YouTube is blocked at school, so I had to figure out a way to overcome that issue. In addition to creating assignments, I can see her progress and keep data about her work Compiling data to show how you are addressing individual student needs is a must for teachers these days. 

2 comments:

  1. That is delightful, Claire! I have been super impressed with the technology available in my online classes. And to think I didn't even have a remote control television as a child!!!

    ReplyDelete