Friday, March 7, 2014

Eyes wide open

As I drove home after a very long day, full of students making some unfortunate and troublesome choices, I reflected about one of the biggest take-aways that I have learned in my eight years of teaching. Keep the blinders off and ears ready to listen. In my experiences, I have seen parents struggle to accept the decisions, as well as academic uncertainties of their student. They have the blinders on, blocking their ability to recognize that the problem that their child is facing is one that they need help overcoming.

I am grateful to have experienced the perspective from the other side before Russell arrived. I hope that I can hold this perspective close to me, so that when struggles come up, I have my eyes wide open.

1 comment:

  1. It is hard for parents, and hopefully easier for teachers!

    ReplyDelete