Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Nurses Day

Today is Nurses Day and this week is Nurses Week. Today I am taking a moment to be thankful for nurses. After being a patient I have a new appreciation for nurses. I spent a lot of time with nurses during my recent hospitalization. In fact, a nurse was in my room every hour for five days (!) draining 10 ml of cerebrospinal fluid out of my body. I got to know my nurses quite well and had a few nurses for several shifts during that time. We discussed their hobbies, upcoming weddings, families. More importantly, they provided compassionate, competent care, and helped me return to health!

I am also extremely thankful that I am a nurse myself! I would much rather be on the nurse side of healthcare than on the patient side. I have learned so much from my patients. I consider it an honor that I have been able to care for them and their families during one of the most joyful (occasionally heartbreaking) times of their lives. 

The picture below is of classmates and me washing the feet of migrant workers in Moultrie, GA during June 2011. As you all know, I have a slight aversion to feet. However, give me a pair of gloves and I am game for just about anything! 


2 comments:

  1. I love this! I am always thankful for my nurse friends, and yes, a friendly, competent nurse makes a hospital stay so much more bearable! Glad you're out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! Competent and kind nurses really do make a difference to a stay in the hospital. I am glad that your appointment went smoothly today!

    ReplyDelete