Thursday, April 3, 2014

NPR: Not Prozac Related



At one point I believed NPR to be a radio station where perpetually depressed people went to hear other perpetually depressed people speak in hushed tones over the strains of classical music; however, as with my philosophy on puppies and sunshine, I have had a change of heart in recent years, and I've come to welcome NPR into my life with gusto. I began listening to 90.1 WABE Atlanta in response to a lack of cable news in my house and quality music during my commute.  As I am somewhat old fashioned, I have a disdain for listening to phone music while driving, and I prefer a little something on a more traditional digital tuner. After a few months of listening to morning news with a blissful tinge of liberal bias, I even branched out and tuned in on my evening commute! Not only does NPR broadcast informative news with few capitalistic commercial interruptions, but they also have game shows, essayists, and even an interview with the infamous rappers, Eightball and MJG! Call me a nerd, but my new favorite thing to do on Fridays after work is listen to a ridiculously geeky show, "Ask Me Another," in my car. They play music, puzzles, and word games in front of a live audience, and it reminds me of watching Lawrence Welk with my parents and Grandmother in the eighties. Lastly, I credit all of my deep conversations with strangers to my new-found love of NPR, and I have gained at least ten IQ points under it's tutelage.  Y'all give it a listen: you'll be grateful!  

No comments:

Post a Comment