Friday, April 4, 2014

Freelance at Last


I am thoroughly grateful for my very first freelance writing assignment today. My cousin is a sustainable artist in California, and she offered me the task of writing a short bio for her upcoming art show in Asheville, North Carolina. I have been bogged down with monotonous, technical writing for my upcoming English degree, and I welcomed this refreshing change that allowed me to be creative instead of merely accurate. Julie takes plastic bags, now illegal in her San Francisco suburb, and turns the trash into glass sculptures and eerie photographic images.  While she is talented and creative in her mediums of choice, Julie needed help putting her ideas into paragraph form, and I have never enjoyed anything more than taking her rough information and transforming it into words that capture the essence and importance of her art.  I cannot wait to see what this new avenue has in store for me, and I think, at the tender age of 31, that I have finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up.  

1 comment:

  1. Yay, Becky!! I'm so glad you got your first freelance gig.

    ReplyDelete